May 26, 2018
Utility for generating icon and cursor themes
icon-slicer is a utility for generating icon themes and libXcursor cursor themes.
The inputs to icon-slicer are conceptually A a set of multi-layer images, one for each size B a XML theme description file
Each image contains all the cursors arranged in a grid; for cursors the layers are
- a layer with a dot for the hotspot of each cursor
- the main image or first animation frame for multi-frame animated cursors
- the second animation frame for multi-frame animated cursors
For icons, the layers are
- a layer with the images
- an optional layer with attachment points for emblems
- an optional layer with boxes for embedding text into icons
In practice, since loading of multilayer images is not supported by standard image libraries, each layer is input as a separate image file.