May 26, 2018
Multiprotocol traceroute tool
ctrace is an IPv4 traceroute tool that supports many features missing in standard 4.3BSD traceroute8. It is programmed entirely in perl.
The primary difference between ctrace and other traceroute tools is its ability to trace routes in multiple protocols. ctrace also has some additional nifty features
- Automatic round-trip-time RTT averaging, which makes output cleaner and more intelligible.
- One or more packets can be launched per TTL/hop. By way of contrast, 4.3BSD traceroute8 forces at least two. This capability makes ctrace faster.
- 4.3BSD traceroute8 emulation in most output, so it will hook in to existing parsers.
- The ability to skip an arbitrary number of hops, saving you time that would be normally wasted tracerouting your own network.
- Fine-grained control over trace packet headers, assisting in bypassing burdensome packet filters.