May 26, 2018
Full-featured VPN over an SSH tunnel
As far as I the author knows, sshuttle is the only program that solves the following common case
- Your client machine or router is Linux, FreeBSD, or MacOS.
- You have access to a remote network via ssh.
- You don’t necessarily have admin access on the remote network.
- The remote network has no VPN, or only stupid/complex VPN protocols IPsec, PPTP, etc. Or maybe you are the admin and you just got frustrated with the awful state of VPN tools.
- You don’t want to create an ssh port forward for every single host/port on the remote network.
- You hate openssh’s port forwarding because it’s randomly slow and/or stupid.
- You can’t use openssh’s PermitTunnel feature because it’s disabled by default on openssh servers; plus it does TCP-over-TCP, which has terrible performance