May 26, 2018
Library to create PDF documents using the Python language
ReportLab is a software library that lets you directly create documents in Adobe’s Portabe Document Format PDF using the Python programming language.
The ReportLab library directly creates PDF based on your graphics commands. There are no intervening steps. Your applications can generate reports extremely fast - sometimes orders of magnitude faster than traditional report-writing tools.
The ReportLab library is expected to be useful in at least the following contexts
- Dynamic PDF generation on the web
- High-volume corporate reporting and database publishing
- An embeddable print engine for other applications, including a ‘report language’ so that users can customize their own reports.
- A ‘build system’ for complex documents with charts, tables and text such as management accounts, statistical reports and scientific papers
- Going from XML to PDF in one step!