May 26, 2018
Open-source disk encryption software based on Truecrypt
VeraCrypt is a free open source disk encryption software for Windows, Mac OSX, FreeBSD and Linux. Brought to you by IDRIX https//www.idrix.fr and based on TrueCrypt 7.1a.
VeraCrypt main features
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed pre-boot authentication.
- Encryption is automatic, real-timeon-the-fly and transparent.
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.
- Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password Hidden volume steganography and hidden operating system.
- More information about the features of VeraCrypt may be found in the documentation