May 26, 2018
Easily and reliably transfer ZFS filesystems
Zxfer is a fork of zfs-replicate. It allows the easy and reliable backup, restore or transfer of ZFS filesystems, either locally or remotely.
Some of the features zxfer has
- Written in sh with only one dependency, rsync. Rsync mode is not used in a typical restore, hence in that situation all you need is the zxfer script, your backup and an install CD/DVD.
- Reliability is first priority - the only methods of transfer allowed are those that checksum/hash the transferred data.
- Transfer to or from a remote host via ssh.
- Recursive and incremental transfer of filesystems via snapshots.
- Transfer properties and sources of those properties e.g. local or inherited.
- Override properties in the transfer, e.g. for archival purposes it is useful to override “copies” and “compression”.
- Create all filesystems on the destination as necessary.
- A comprehensive man page with examples.
- Can be set to beep on error or when done, useful for long transfers.
- Features an rsync mode for when two different snapshotting regimes are on source and destination, and zfs send/receive won’t work.