- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Watches the growth of files or directories
“xtail” watches the growth of files. It’s like running a “tail -f” on a bunch of files at once.
You can specify both filenames and directories on the command line. If you specify a directory, it watches all the files in that directory. It will notice when new files are created and start watching them or when old files are deleted and stop watching them.
This program is an oldie but goodie. It was posted to comp.sources.misc in July 1989 see ftp.uu.net/usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume7/xtail.Z. I remember posting an even earlier version to alt.sources. It has been published in the O’Reilly & Associates “Unix Power Tools” collection book and CD-ROM. Over the years, some fly-by-night organizations such as the MIT X Consortium and SGI have tried to steal the “xtail” name. Don’t be fooled! Insist on the original.
Checkout these related ports:
- Zoneinfo - Updated timezone definitions
- Zine - Simple and opinionated tool to build your own magazine
- Ytree - DOS-XTREE(tm) look-a-like file manager
- Yaunc - Yet another uptimes.net client
- Xtypo - X-based keyboard trainer
- Xtar - View and manipulate contents of a tar file
- Xplr - Hackable, minimal, fast TUI file explorer
- Xosd - X11 on-screen-display program and library
- Xless - X11-based viewer for text files
- Xiphos - Bible interface utilizing the sword framework
- Xgboost - Scalable, Portable and Distributed Gradient Boosting (GBDT, GBRT, GBM)
- Xgas - The animated simulation of an ideal gas
- Xfce4-wm-themes - Additional themes for xfwm4
- Xfce4-weather-plugin - Weather plugin for the Xfce panel
- Xfce4-appfinder - Application launcher and finder