May 26, 2018
bksh is a simple some would say trivial program designed to be used as a shell by ssh or rsh-like programs. All it does it to copy its input to a restricted set of backup files.
It was made to allow administrators to create backup servers in potentially hostile environments without allowing full shell access to the server or the client.
- tape only or file & tape backups compile-time config
- automatic file rotation allows keeping a history of backups
- configurable number of files kept static compile-time or dynamic
- allows naming of backup files on command line
- works as a restricted shell to limit access to server
- very simple and short ANSI C code, easy to audit