- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Aspell Polish dictionary
Aspell Polish dictionary.
Note if you build from ports, prefer textproc/aspell, it will let you select dictionaries for several languages.
FreeBSD is a versatile and powerful open-source operating system. While not as popular as other Unix-like systems, such as Linux, many web servers, databases, and networks worldwide rely on FreeBSD. One of its notable features is the seamless management and utilization of ‘ports,’ a robust system for installing third-party software. Among these ports is an invaluable tool, Aspell, particularly useful for those who use the Polish language. Today, we’ll delve into what Aspell is, its benefits, how to install and use it on a FreeBSD environment, and its application in a Polish context.
What is Aspell?
Aspell, also known as GNU Aspell, is a spell-checking utility that effectively rectifies spelling mistakes in documents and provides spelling suggestions if a word is not in its dictionary. Unlike other spelling checkers, Aspell has advanced capabilities of identifying complex errors and providing recommendations for potentially misspelled words.
Benefits of Aspell
Aspell is a versatile tool, providing numerous benefits
Language-specific Aspell has a broad array of dictionaries that cater to a vast number of languages — one of which is the Polish language. This feature makes it an indispensable tool for checking and correcting Polish texts.
Superior accuracy Aspell possesses algorithms that allow it to conduct an in-depth check on your texts, ensuring a higher accuracy than what most spell-checkers can provide.
Context-sensitive Aspell checks words in their context to discern the correct spelling.
Personal Dictionaries Users can create personal dictionaries to tailor Aspell’s checks according to their writing style or the nature of their text.
Extensible Aspell is not just a standalone application. It can integrate into applications/programs to aid in providing spell-check capabilities.
Installing Aspell on FreeBSD
Before we start, ensure you have the ports tree installed on your FreeBSD machine. It includes the metadata about available software, like Aspell. You can fetch it using the portsnap command
portsnap fetch extract
To install Aspell
- Navigate to Aspell’s directory in the ports tree.
- Next, compile and install Aspell using the make command.
make install clean
make installcommand builds and installs the software.
cleanoption deletes the temporary files created during the process.
You now have Aspell installed in your FreeBSD machine!
Installing the Polish Dictionary
By default, Aspell doesn’t come with any language dictionary. You have to explicitly install the ones you need.
For Polish, navigate to the Polish dictionary in the ports tree, then compile and install it.
cd /usr/ports/polish/aspell make install clean
To check a text file using Aspell, use the following command
aspell --lang=pl check document.txt
document.txt with your filename. Aspell will open the file in an interactive session and highlight potentially misspelled words.
As concerns security, you can use tools like [Nmap]https//freebsdsoftware.org/security/nmap.html integrated into FreeBSD. Nmap scans networks for potential vulnerabilities and loopholes and is strongly recommended for maintaining a robust security posture.
Overall, Aspell is a powerful spell-checking tool that can assist users in creating polished and professional documents. Specifically, the support for specialized dictionaries, including Polish, make it an excellent choice for multi-language users. It’s simple to add to the FreeBSD environment, and learning to operate it poses little difficulty. By including tools like Aspell in your toolbox, you will be poised to interact more effectively within a globalized, multi-lingual tech community.
Checkout these related ports:
- Webalizer2 -
- Trf - Billing software for traffic counting working with most Polish ISPs
- Tleenx2 - Client for polish IM service called Tlen.pl
- Qnapi - Qt5 based subtitle downloader
- Napi - Command line subtitles downloader for napiprojekt.pl
- Mythes - Polish thesaurus
- Libtlen - Backend for interoperability with Tlen.pl, Polish IM network
- Libreoffice -
- Libgadu - Instant messaging library for Gadu-Gadu protocol
- Hyphen - Polish hyphenation rules
- Hunspell - Polish hunspell dictionaries
- Gnugadu2 - Gadu-Gadu IM network client
- Fortunepl - Lot of funny Polish fortune files